Frank Clark, the namesake of Frank’s Cider, was the third of six generations of the Clark family to live at “Woodside” on the banks of the Huon River.
His grand father John Clark was the first permanent white settler in Franklin.
John cleared the bush and planted fruit trees as early as 1838, some of which still survive today. He married Sarah Kellaway, and they had 10 children.
John built a water driven flour mill on Clark’s Rivulet in the 1840s. The image of the mill is on the homepage.
He employed ticket of leave men to construct the mill race, and build the mill, homestead, sheds and barn.
Jane (Lady) Franklin (wife of Governor Sir John Franklin) encouraged John Clark to settle in the Huon and he managed her estates in her absence.
“Woodside” is still owned by the Clark family and managed by Naomie who is Frank’s grand daughter. Her children are the 6th generation.
Apple and pear orchards have been planted through these generations, and still produce fine quality fruit today.
Tree ripened apples and pears are a specialty and give Frank’s cider its distinctive flavour.